On-board Footage Shows John Morton’s Monterey Scarab Crash

Holy Crap. John was indeed lucky to climb out of the wreckage of his Scarab under his own power. Maybe he should have given a wider birth to the spinouts ahead of him, but it looks pretty unavoidable to me from this angle.

Update:
Well that didn’t take long. It looks like the uploader of this video has removed the file and closed their youtube account. If the video resurfaces, I’ll repost it here. in the meantime, here’s another video of the aftermath.

9 responses to “On-board Footage Shows John Morton’s Monterey Scarab Crash”

1. DAMN! How expensive are those cars? That looks like a huge wreck, from the footage and the pictures… Hope he was insured

2. Automobiliac says:

Wow. That is a monumental shunt. If I had witnessed that I should have immediately lost my appetite for racing that day assuming the fellow was dead. In the past, that would have been a fatal accident, and that driver would have been thrown from the car. Simply horrible.

3. Automobiliac says:

4. Jones Foyer says:

“On another note, I happen to love the Scarab, and it pains me to think this rare, beautiful car was written off in such a stupid way.”

Not sure why you would call it “stupid.” Racing of all sorts has its dangers, even vintage racing.

5. […] the video may be gone for now, but thankfully, H.A.M.B. member Toner283 found these fantastic Dean […]

6. Automobiliac says:

Well, Jones, if you watched the video you’d see that the number 2 car, rather than locking up, allows his car to roll back into the racing line well after impacting the wall. The driver of the Scarab doesn’t give a wide enough berth to the accident unfolding and gets clobbered. Racing definitely has its dangers, I agree. And in this case, the danger was lousy driving by humans with more money than skill. There were only 8 of those cars made, and now one of them is going to need a total restoration which will efface whatever history was left in that car.

7. Chris says:

I could be wrong, but I believe this was JOHN Morton of BRE/Datsun, Formula 5000, and later Cunningham Nissan fame.

• Harlo says:

Whoops… Of course you’re right, Chris…

But wait, Jack is a nickname for John, right? right?? 🙂
      Nevermind, I’ll just fix it. Thanks.

8. David says:

I have heard from several sources including Morton himself that the car was due for a very comprehensive restoration anyway. I think there was an issue with the chassis to be resolved also. Those cars, for all practical purposes, can never be really destroyed, as they are not terribly difficult to rebuild.

It is remarkable that John was not injured, however.